Monday, April 11, 2011

THROWBACK!

Today, I decided to forego work, because, why not? I was looking for a nice lunch, different from what I usually have, but something which could last for dinner as well.  During my thinking party, I remembered a tuna pasta thing that my mom used to make for us after church on Sundays.  Her version included fusili (curly) pasta, tuna fish, cheese, and mayonnaise.  Of course, since it is my mother, it wasn't all that bad for you, but I decided to make a more adult version of this filling and satisfying lunch.


Tuna Pasta Salad

Ingredients:
1 can chunk light tuna, packed in water
1.5 cups whole wheat pasta, uncooked
2 tbsps mayonnaise, light
2 tsps dijonnaise
Various veggies (I used some pre-cut ones I had around, including carrots, peppers (red and green), red onions, squash)
1/4 cup feta cheese
1 dash powdered garlic seasoning
1 dash sea salt 

Direction:
Bring water to boil, and throw in pasta, boil until cooked, approx. 10 minutes.  Drain tuna, and scoop it out of can into a mixing bowl.  When pasta is complete, drain (I didn't wash it off post-drain.) Stir together pasta and tuna with mayonnaise, dijonnaise, vegetables, feta, salt, and garlic.  Season further to taste!  

Tip: You could use regular or honey mustard in place of the dijonnaise.  The vegetables could definitely be changed, or omitted altogether depending upon the contents of your fridge!  I like using the whole wheat pasta, but you could use bow-tie, angel hair, or any variant!  Any type of tuna/ canned meat (can salmon, for example) would be great!  

No comments:

Post a Comment