Wednesday, March 23, 2011

BSQUASH ENCHIES?

So, my cool self is home for the spring break week, but it's really good because I needed some rest and what not. It's been very uneventful, but not in a super bad way.  But while I've been home, I've been able to cook with hella good ingredients!  I made a recipe which I adapted from one of my favorite runnervegananorexic blogger girls  (http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/2011/02/butternut-squash-enchiladas.html) but I've tweaked it a bit to give it more substance and flavahhhhhh.

Hooch, Mary, and I first made these at Mary's about....A MONTH AGO??!! The secret, we found, is to pick out a squash that doesn't have a very pronounced bulb at the end, they're easier to cut and seem to be more flavorful. Both times I've made this I've had more than enough squash leftover (this time yielded 7 enchiladas I think), to make butternut squash fries as well! For the fries, I put them on a cookie sheet, spray with some cooking spray and put them right in with the roasting squash! Flip them over once, there ya gooooo!


BUTTERNUT SQUASH ENCHILADAS

Ingredients
Whole Wheat Tortillas
2/3 of a butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 can black beans
1 package 2% reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 pack vigo yellow rice (2-4-1 at publix this week!)- prepared 
1 jar salsa verde 

Pre-heat oven to 425. Cut the butternut squash in half, peel, and de-seed. Cube the squash (cut into 1/2''. slices).  Spray 12 x 8 dish with cooking spray and dump in squash!  Roast squash for 30 minutes, or until  a little mooshy.   When squash is cooking, put in fries (if you choose to make fries), and prepare yellow rice.  To prepare rice, fill sauce pan with 2 1/2 cups water, boil, dump in rice, turn heat to low, throw lid on saucepan, AND DONE!  When squash is done either mash with a potato masher, or put squash in food processor until mashed, but not a fricking soup.  

Assemble rice, beans, cheese (or whatever else, roasted onions & peppers, corn, mushrooms, ANYTHING will work in these.) I sprayed each tortilla with cooking spray then rolled them up with about 1/4 cup squash, a few tbsps beans and rice, and a sprinkle of cheese. Loosely roll up and line up in casserole dish! Repeat. (DON'T FORGET YOUR FRIES!) Continue until dish is full, you run out of squash, or until you get bored.  Then, sprinkle more cheese on top (I didn't use the whole bag for the recipe but you def. could have), and pour on the salsa verde!  Then, put in the heated oven (still at 425) for about 15 minutes. 

VIOLA! 

Note: I used no oil (vegetable, olive, or otherwise) in the making of this dish, including the rice!  The package says to add 2 tsp of butter/oil to rice while boiling, they lie, it's not necessary! 

No comments:

Post a Comment